Monday 13 July 2009

Desperate Parting Pot-Shot Wisdom

Desperate parting pot-shot wisdom


Here we all are then

For hugs, and goodbyes

For farewells, so longs, cheerios,

And reciprocal replies

As their sadly retreating backs are caught in a final, fading moonbeam

The pain of leaving hits me – smack – and in my head I scream


I wanna shout and say “Wait!”

Do you know that things are not as they seem?

Do you know that life is just a dream?

Do you know that happiness is in little things?

And do you know why the caged bird sings?

Do you know that money is the means, not the end?

Do you know when to step back and just, transcend?


Do you know that life’s conventions mean nothing

Unless they resonate with you?

Do you know that the will of a majority

Can often alienate the few?

Do you know that liberty, equality and brotherhood always deserve a mention?

But do you also know that the road to hell is paved with good intentions?


Do you know that I love you all more than I can ever say?

Do you know that when times are hard there is no need to pray?

Yeah, humans are the answer, for cuddles and for cries,

It is always better to look to each other than up into the skies,

Do you know that you should never give in?

Do you know that peace is found first within?

Do you know that beauty is absolutely everywhere?

Do you know that the world doesn’t always rhyme?

Or necessarily, like, have a good rhythm?

In fact sometimes it can seem to go nowhere…


But do you know that so long

As your head’s screwed on

And that blood of yours still runs red

That the next great big adventure

Is always up ahead?


I didn’t shout any of that, in the end

It would have seemed a bit preachy and weird

So pathetically, meekly I said nothing at all

And the pale grey face of time, sneered


But through all the films that our lives play

Through the rom-coms and the thrillers

In your friendship I find salvation

So distance - will never – fucking – kill us.

1 comment:

  1. I can't read this without welling up.
    But, grr, I KNOW I'm gonna read it PLENTY more times.

    Plenty plenty.
    x

    ReplyDelete