Monday 15 June 2009

The poems wot I read down the rooms (except this time it's the uvva one)

Bedtime for patriots

What really gets to me, you see,
Is when people brag and boast about an accident of geography.
Hasn’t anyone told them, that borders are arbitrary
Policed by military
Created by war
Upheld by law
Written on paper?
And that the water of their justification is really just a vapour?
I wish they’d get their flags out of my face
And I wish they’d stop chatting about race
And national identity
That way they can gain some serenity
And we can all be friends

Because as we all know at the end of the day we’re all the same as each other
We all breathe and shit and piss and try to love one another
And at the risk of sounding like a hippy, man, we’re basically sisters and brothers

So yeah fuck nationalism. And while we’re here fuck racism sexism and ageism.
In fact just avoid isms like the plague
The nature of this world is far too vague
To be categorised. And generalised.

I’m sorry if this is too serious ‘cause I don’t wanna make you frown
But it’s time to climb the dividing walls or better still to burn them down
Yes it’s bedtime for the patriots
They can all be put to sleep
‘Cause the human condition is not that crass
It’s a river, runnin’ deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment